MARK MAZZETTI is a highly accomplished Entertainment, Music & Media Executive with 20+ years of Record Production, Mixing & Co-Mastering experience. He has been a driving creative force behind multi-Platinum, Grammy Award-winning records that have sold a combined 40 Million+ copies worldwide, generating $100 Million+ in domestic and international sales. Mark’s company RECORD COMPANY IN A BOX, is home for his creative efforts that include one on one specialized A&R and Artist Development for artists/singers/song writers and bands who wish to achieve greater artistic and commercial success.
RECORD COMPANY IN A BOX provides specific expertise in A&R, artist development, pitching masters to music supervisors for movie trailers, film and TV, radio promotion, brand development, strategic marketing & promotion, budget management, and creative & business operational oversight for individual artists, record labels/distribution companies and management companies at all levels. We develop and execute long-term marketing strategies and national cross-platform publicity and advertising campaigns that enhance brand awareness, build brand loyalty, increase market share and drive revenue working closely with Sales and Distribution. Mark Mazzetti is a dynamic leader and artistic mentor with demonstrated ability to develop songs/careers while managing multiple high-priority projects on concurrent time -lines, bringing them in on time and under budget. Mark is a music innovator and strategic big-picture thinker with gifted insight and exceptional communication, presentation, logistical management and team-building skills.
- A&R, ARTIST DEVELOPMENT, RECORDED ENTERTAINMENT & MEDIA
- MAJOR & INDEPENDENT LABELS AND INDEPENDENT CONTENT AGGREGATORS
- ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT | MUSIC CONTENT PRODUCTION ,A&R/ARTIST DEVELOPMENT & ACQUISITION | BRAND DEVELOPMENT
- CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS | CREATIVE & BUSINESS OPERATIONS | BUDGET MANAGEMENT
- STRATEGIC NATIONAL CROSS-PLATFORM MARKETING, PUBLICITY & NEW MEDIA CAMPAIGN DEVELOPMENT
RECORD COMPANY IN A BOX, HOLLYWOOD, CA & SEATTLE, WA 2009 – Present
PRINCIPAL, ARTIST DEVELOPMENT-A&R | MARKETING | BRANDING | NEW MEDIA & PUBLICITY
- Established, owns and operates full-service brand development firm and management company representing recording artists, artist managers, labels and actors. Current consulting clients and projects include recording artists BETH GRIFFITH, GYPSY SOUL, MAGDALENA, THE SOFT WHITE SIXTIES, ERIC EDEN, MARY BEE and JUSTIN WINOKUR. Past Artist projects include: BRITROYAL, RECOIL v.o.r., Layla Allmand & PICTURE ME BROKEN, JOHN MAYER, AARON NEVILLE, JANET JACKSON and many others.
R&M ARTIST RECoRDS LLC, HOLLYWOOD, CA 2005 – 2008
EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT & MANAGING MEMBER | CO-FOUNDER
- Co-founded independent record label, led all day-to-day business operations for label, as well as for music publishing companies Pelican Pointe Songs and R&M Artist Music Publishing, directing $2.5 Million operating budget. Contracted with marketing firms and video directors, hired and supervised 8-member staff (publicist, radio promotions team, booking agents) in the promotion of special releases and pricing programs. Developed, oversaw creative execution of multiple cross-platform marketing strategies (TV, radio, online, new media) to establish artists, and drive music, video product and merchandise sales.
- Signed California band NATIONAL PRODUCT, executive produced debut CD “LUNA,” and secured press coverage. Sold 40,000+ CDs, digital downloads and ringtones, delivering $500,000 in 18 months. Single “By All Means” honored with 2007 mtvU BEST VIDEO AWARD. Secured lucrative co-publishing and record contracts with BMI, FUJIPACIFIC MUSIC and VILLAGE AGAIN RECORDS (Japan), tour sponsorships with CRUNK and McDONALD’S, and signed writers to ASCAP and BMI.
- Negotiated and closed $2.5 Million music distribution deal with ICON Music Entertainment Services, and coordinated all R&M and ICON marketing and merchandising efforts.
- UNIVERSAL MUSIC ENTERPRISES, SANTA MONICA, CA 2004
- SURROUND SOUND/5.1 A&R CONSULTANT FOR ISLAND, DEF JAM, A&M, GEFFEN, INTERSCOPE & MOTOWN
- Provided hands-on management of music assets, creating and co-mixing 20+ new 5.1 surround sound mixes of classic music masters over intense 12-month time frame for world-class ad agencies McCANN ERICKSON, DDB and OGILVY & MATHER. Utilizing key content relationships and current & emerging audio/mixing technology, mixed classic hit recordings from ELTON JOHN, SHANIA TWAIN, MARVIN GAYE, SQUEEZE, U2, TEARS FOR FEARS, JAMES BROWN, BUBBA SPARX, etc., to create music stems, exclusive new music content for HDTV commercials and film trailers that remained true to artists’ original recordings.
IMMERGENT RECORDS/5.1 ENTERTAINMENT GROUP, W. LOS ANGELES, CA 1999 – 2004
VICE PRESIDENT, A&R | SURROUND SOUND REMIX CO-PRODUCER | DVD PRODUCTION CO-PRODUCER
- Directed creative and business operations, secured new business development opportunities for independent record label. Negotiated and closed $2 Million distribution deal with SONY/RED Distribution for CD and digital product. Developed multiple cross-channel promotional strategies for recording artists to enhance artist brand profile and drive record sales. Created marketing strategy targeting all major U.S. record labels, successfully promoting the value of remixing in surround sound to produce higher quality recordings; efforts delivered a significant new revenue stream for company, $1 Million in first year.
- JOHN MAYER, “ROOM FOR SQUARES” CD
- Developed artist’s music, from demos through to final masters, for 4xPLATINUM-selling SONY/COLUMBIA debut release, which featured GRAMMY AWARD-winning Number 1 Hit Single, “Your Body Is A Wonderland” and “No Such Thing.” CD sold 4 Million copies in less than two years’ time.
- STING, “LIVE FROM UNIVERSAL AMPHITHEATER” LIVE CONCERT DVD
- Remix Engineer / Mastering Consultant for artist’s stereo and 5.1 surround sound PLATINUM-selling DVD.
- AARON NEVILLE, “DEVOTION” and “BELIEVE” CDs & DVDs
- Co-mixed artist’s 5.1 surround sound DVD videos and GOLD-selling stereo CDs.
- DISHWALLA, “OPALINE” CD
- Signed rock band to label, played instrumental role in creative development and distribution of OPALINE, which sold 100,000+ CDs, digital downloads and DVDs ($1 Million+ in sales) in 18 months.
PRIOR RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
- CONSULTANT TO GATEWAY MASTERING FOR DVD, GATEWAY MASTERING & DVD, Hollywood, CA (1999)
- Early adopter of DVD technology, played key role in revolutionizing recording industry by introducing DVD format and associated technical features to 25+ major record label executives. Successfully promoted the transfer of video assets from VHS and Laser Disc to DVD.
- EXPERT CONSULTANT, MATTEL CLASSICS COLLECTIBLE TALKING TOYS, MATTEL TOYS, El Segundo, CA (1998-1999)
- Hired by CEO JILL BARAD to develop and spearhead re-branding and comprehensive cross-platform marketing campaign to introduce 5 new collectible editions of classic talking toy CHATTY CATHY. Wrote historical and promotional copy, oversaw packaging design and co-produced toy collector documentary, “MATTEL CLASSICS COLLECTIBLES PRESENTS: CHATTY CATHY THE TALKING DOLL.” Combined efforts moved 300,000 units in less than two years’ time, delivering $14 Million+ in total sales revenue.
- VICE PRESIDENT, A&R | SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO PRESIDENT | MANAGER, POP/ROCK RADIO PROMOTION, A&M RECORDS, Hollywood, CA (1989-1998)
- Managing budgets of up to $10 Million, oversaw creative development, marketing and promotional strategies for 50+ artists, including multi-PLATINUM-selling, multi-GRAMMY AWARD-WINNING artists STING, JANET JACKSON, BRYAN ADAMS, THE POLICE and AARON NEVILLE. Discovered, developed and established 10+ highly successful new artists (AMY GRANT, DISHWALLA, etc.). Directly responsible for hit singles and mixes for 24 Top Ten singles, 45+ multi-million-unit-selling hit records, delivering a combined $100 Million+ in sales revenue.
EDUCATION & AFFILIATIONS
- Bachelor of Arts-Level Coursework, Music & Business, NEW YORK UNIVERSITY, Tisch School of the Arts, New York, NY
- NARAS, GRAMMY Voting Member since 1998
- NARIP, Record Executive Member since 2008
- AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- JOHN MAYER, “ROOM FOR SQUARES” (4XPlatinum Album)
- 2002 GRAMMY AWARD, Best Male Pop Vocal Performance (“Your Body Is A Wonderland”)
- AARON NEVILLE, “TO MAKE ME WHO I AM” (Gold Album)
- 1999 GRAMMY AWARD NOMINATION, Best Traditional R&B Male Vocal Performance
- DISHWALLA, “COUNTING BLUE CARS” (Gold Single, Billboard Number 1 from “PET YOUR FRIENDS” Platinum Album)
- 1996 BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARD, Best Rock Song of the Year
- 1996 & 1997 ASCAP AWARDS, Rock Track of the Year
- STING, “TEN SUMMONER’S TALES” (3XPlatinum Album)
- 1994 GRAMMY AWARDS (Three), Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical, Best Male Pop Vocal Performance (“If I Ever Lose My Faith In You”) & Best Long Form Music Video
- 1994 GRAMMY AWARD NOMINATIONS (Two), Best Album & Record of the Year
- AMY GRANT, “HEART IN MOTION” (4XPlatinum Album)
- 1992 GRAMMY AWARD NOMINATIONS (Four), Album of the Year, Song of the Year (“Baby, Baby”),Record of the Year (“Baby, Baby”) & Best Female Pop Vocal Performance (“Baby, Baby”)
- 1992 AMERICAN MUSIC AWARD NOMINATION, Best Rock/Pop Performance by a Female
- JANET JACKSON, “RHYTHM NATION 1814” (12XPlatinum Album)
- 1990 GRAMMY AWARD, Best Music Video, Long Form
- 1990 BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS (Six), Top Hot 100 Singles Artist of the Year, Top Selling Album of the Year, Top Selling R&B Album of the Year, Top Selling R&B Albums Artist of the Year, Top Selling R&B Artist of the Year, Top Dance Club Play Artist of the Year & Top Hot Dance 12” Singles Sales of the Year
- 1989 TOP RECORD PROMOTION MANAGER OF THE YEAR | KMEL Radio | Vice President of A&R, A& M Records
- 1988 TOP RECORD PROMOTION MANAGER OF THE YEAR | KMEL Radio | Vice President of A&R, A& M Records
- Recognized diplomatic liaison to black music and social community, with proven experience addressing and resolving black/white music issues with BET, MTV, VH1, NAACP, JOHNSON PUBLICATIONS, PRESIDENT GEORGE H. W. BUSH and legendary Civil Rights icon ROSA PARKS.